Sunday, April 11, 2010

Mermaid LemonAid - Outing the Easter Bunny



"And you can break yourself free from your hereditary patterns, cultural codes, social beliefs; and prove once and for all that the power within you is greater than the power that's in the world."


Michael Beckwith

Last night I had to face my part in the "great cover up".  I can no longer lie to my children about various magical (fake) creatures, for the purposes of...what is the purpose again???

As bedtime approached last Saturday, my youngest worked herself into a terror about a giant rabbit in our house.  It didn't matter that it came bearing sweet treats...or that it might be tiny...or cute...



I tried to settle the kids numerous times.  Every time I shifted weight (while sitting on the floor between beds), they gripped my hands "Don't Leave!"

Hmmm...how could I calm them?  I tried various reassurances, even saying I would not let the critter in, instead it could leave things outside the door...then I'd hide the eggs for him...  Then realized -- this is stupid!

Why should I make it okay that a "something" was allowed into our home, to bring them treats???

Soooo -- I outed the bunny -- My oldest was very mad at me for lying (rightly so).  The younger was relieved I would have treats ready in the morning.

Then I was asked "Why did you lie?"  "Why to parents lie?"

Why indeed?  I don't want to condition kids not to trust themselves.  I don't want to condition them to be manipulated by their parents.  Hmmm...

Good questions -- hard questions to answer in an age appropriate way...I kept talking until they stopped probing.

I continued to wonder (after they were sleeping...).   Is it because of the hierarchical structure and higher ups lying to us?  Is it because parents need to play make-believe and can't get there on their own accord?  

"When you know better, you do better..."(I heard that on Oprah - not sure who to credit).

Ending a lie is easy, but you need courage to face angry fallout (by those lied to).  I took the anger.  It was deserved and soon we were giggling.  I got the new title "Easter Mommy" and was asked to hop out of the room.

I obliged.

I spoke to my girls about miracles (their life for starters...), which make a rabbit doling out junkfood seem --- well --- silly.  It's still fun to make treasure hunts for kids, so why not just do that openly?

New life and rebirth celebrations are relevant and important, but one look around these days and it's apparent when and how people take it  too far.  No matter -- it's the pendulum.  Our family will find its midpoint one day at a time.


Wishing you a Bright and Joyous Spring in Your Steps!





No comments:

Post a Comment