Monday, April 20, 2009

MerMade LemonAid - Oonahnahmae Backstory...

 I would like to share where The Oonahnahmae term originated.


When my youngest daughter was 2, she was fluent in her own language. Full sentences, inflection and complex wording were part of her communication. Despite the detail, none of us "grown ups" could understand her. I could feel and see her frustration with my attempts to decipher, many times to no avail. 

Mothers however "feel" their children, so most times we could understand each other.  My  own mother, an elementary educator (with ECS specialization), was admittedly blown away by the skilled phrasing. There was a sing-song nature to her complex "baby" language.

My relatively untrained ear, likened it to Hawai'ian, with ooo's and aaaa's and broken vowels. 


Advent of English:

Then, almost overnight, my daughter was speaking full sentences in English.  It seemed a concession to work with us, rather than spend anymore time being frustrated and misunderstood.

One instance of her immediate command of "our" language was when my Mother wanted her to stand on the coffee table (to have the height to wave out our living room window)...my daughter refused saying, "Nana, that's too dangerous for me." We (Mom, Dad and I) gaped.


The Magic Hour:

One evening shortly thereafter, during the ritual tuck-in, my eldest child fell asleep quickly.  The younger and I engaged in sleepy chatter. 

(I never know what topics will surface in the moments between wake and sleep. This night, no exception.)

Suddenly she was alert, "Mommy, we didn't feed the stars their supper!" I was surprised.

The dietary practice of stars, have never been much of a concern.  Puzzled, I inquired, "What do stars eat?" To which my moon-lit toddler responded, "Stars eat songs." 

I said, "Well I guess we'd better feed them." She told me what words to sing and I joined...(in her language, as directed).  She sang herself to sleep.  This earnest expression, one of the most beautiful things I've been a part of...

Tears slid silently, down my cheeks as I thanked the Universe for such beauty.  "Oonahnahmae" was one of the words from the song.

As the kids slept, I swept stray hairs behind little ears.  Gratitude flowed for this peaceful home as well, a place where voicing the starsong was possible.  I sat on the floor between the girls' beds for quite some time, pondering these kids, my life and how this would influence what was to come.

I decided to listen...more than I speak...just listen...  Then I listened to my favorite sound in the world, the girls' regular, peaceful, breathing....the simple, beautiful, breath of life.


The Miracle of Unconditional Love:

Oonahnahmae describes a method I use to create unconditional love (especially in difficult cases):

If I have trouble loving someone, I imagine them as a 2 year old child, in a moonlit room, tucked into their bed and singing to the stars...

I include a loving Mom or Dad, ensuring sleep comfort, wanting the best for the tiny body before them.  The parent looks forward to the human being growing, knowing it is a priviledge to share time with the child...

---This part is very helpful to me...---

If a person may not have had such a parent, my love envelopes that child moreso.

My love, however, is only part of it...Each person must learn to love their own inner 2 year old, unconditionally, parenting the self as such.  Love must be self-creating and self-sustaining.

This illustration is but one metaphor for such a journey...


The Gestation Period:

Most people know creation takes time. Our working process is continual, we make notes, study our environment and experience life, which may not be referenced for years to come.

While The Oonahnahmae storylines clarified, we worked with concepts, paintings, thoughts and words for over two years.  When creation comes after incubation, it is swift and sure.


MerMade LemonAid - Choosing a Pole Shift

The following poem was done in about 10 minutes on Valentines' Day 2008. I was feeling sorry for myself, because I couldn't be with my daughters at the time (they were at their other house).  In my darker times, I go to the water (in true MerMade Fashion).

LemonAid - A hot bath and cup of tea and thoughts on what I cherish: Breathing, Life, Love, Children, Family, Friends, Writing, Photography, Music, Films and Nature.

I don't write music (yet), but sometimes sing it to the tune of Amazing Grace...

The Oonahnahmae Universe

As day meets night and colors gray, 
the wee folk gather near.
To feed the stars, the children say, 
and heal all those who hear.

Each child of light, with chorus strong, 
can guide us to the source.
If listen we, to love’s sweet call 
and gently shift our course.

In harmony, folk lead the way,
through woods of Ae-Morin.
Their beacons bright, o’er snow-capped peaks, 
to gather lost souls in.

Soft child of night, you strike a chord
and change the world through song.
We thank you all for being here 
and humbly join along.

- Rebecca Christenson (Valentine’s Day 2008)

May you experience Uni-Verse-All love in each moment!


No comments:

Post a Comment