Monday, June 21, 2010

Sacred Sight - A Midsummer Daydream...


I had the opportunity to attend a celebration of Aboriginal dance and visual storytelling today.  


When I arrived at the Aboriginal Day presentation, I was captivated by these dancer's physical commentary on the environment.  



Harmony comes through humility.
"Be like water..." it says in the Tao te Ching.

Today is Midsummer 

The end of the pendulum swinging toward light (for this year).  

It feels like more than a seasonal turning point...the flooding in southern Alberta, oil gushing into the the Gulf of Mexico, the European economy on the rocks...

  

...Who knows what is going to happen...therefore I return focus on what I can do, right here, right now.  Take pictures.  

As I watched the women's shawl dance, i was struck by the similarity of the ribbons to hanging feathers...to Isis with her sheltering wings.


I have wanted to take photos of dancers in regalia for a long time, so this was exciting for me.  I'd have changed the backgrounds to something more natural and regal...but that's where photoshop comes in.


  
People in the community joined the dancers in sign language, clapping, dancing and song (about SpongeBob...).

  
Are there wings sheltering us? 

The feather and/or eagle motif are presented in so many reverent cultural activities.  Have birds achieved harmony in this world?  

In the world and yet above it?

  

How do we live in harmony?? For real --- Between; men and women, adults and children, human beings and nature?  AND individually; between our physical, emotional and spiritual bodies???

How will it all come together?


It starts with each of us achieving equilibrium within...which, from what I have experienced, will take a lifetime to work out.

But as all the parts of me come together; woman, mother, artist, student, teacher --- A ripple effect continues to infinity...We never really know who -- or how -- we affect change, but somewhere, sometimes along the journey...


We reach out and...

    

...Someone else reaches back.  

The light lingers now

It is post thunderstorm, dark clouds circle my place, but above there is a break in the darkening sky...I'm glad the rains cooled the air.  

I am also thankful for heat and the sun, photography, bright dancers, drum beats, spray parks, ice cream, and now...bed.

Happy Solstice!


All Dancers are with the group "Red Thunder - The Next Generation" and are members of the Crowchild family (siblings and cousins).

No comments:

Post a Comment